It's a question we ask and are asked dozens of times every day. It's one of the first phrases we learn to say in a different language. I kind of hate the question, and yet I continue to ask it. It's an ice breaker, and hopefully, for most people that I ask, they feel like they can answer it honestly. And yet most of us instinctively answer with "Fine." "Great!" or some other non-answer.
What would it sound like if we answered this question honestly?
For me it would sound like this:
- I am tired. No amount of sleep will allow me to not feel tired, as much of it is mental and emotional exhaustion.
- I have too many balls in the air. But to be honest, I'm not sure I could successfully juggle 2 at one time right now.
- I am scared - that I'm not enough - for my kids, for my job, for my team.
- I am blessed - I have so much to be thankful for - health, family, a home, a great job, friends.
- Sometimes I'm bored. So I create busy work for myself and the people around me so I can feel productive - and to feel like I'm enough.
- And let's be honest, most of the time I could honestly answer that question with I am hungry.
So, to summarize, I'm fine. :)